The Latin music begins and everybody starts moving their body parts as they follow the instructors every move. Its like dance flash mob, everybody is dancing to the rhythm, they step to the beat and they sweat a lot. Everyone is eager to dance like there’s no tomorrow and you can see everybody is enjoying. As their sweat drips from their forehead the atmosphere gets energetic because their laugh and screams filled the place.
Zumba is a total workout, combining all elements of fitness – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class. It has quickly grown to one of the most popular group exercise classes on the planet. In fact, the Latin-dance inspired workout is reportedly performed by more than 12 million people at 110,000 sites, in 125 countries around the world. “Ditch the Workout – Join the Party!” That’s the marketing slogan for Zumba fitness, which attracts exercisers with a fun fusion of dance moves from styles like Salsa, Merengue, Reggaeton and Flamenco, and the sort of choreography you might see in a nightclub.
The craze now known as Zumba fitness is said to have started as a mistake by Colombian trainer Alberto “Beto” Perez. One day in the mid-90s, Beto reportedly forgot to bring his regular aerobics-style music tape to the group exercise class he was leading. With no music and a class to teach, he raced back to his car and scrounged up a cassette tape of Latin dance music. As the lively beats of Merengue and Rumba rang out, Beto drew upon his experience dancing in Salsa clubs and choreographing for local artists. Soon he was leading his pupils through a fun series of dance steps—and Rumbacize was born. It was an instant hit, and quickly became the most popular class at his gym.
Zumba is now gaining popularity in the country, as it encourages people from all ages to let loose in different dance moves while shedding pounds. It serves as a healthy and enjoyable exercise.
Join the party!
You hate exercise if you haven’t tried Zumba fitness. Unlike other exercise Zumba is very easy to do, you just need to follow the instructor and enjoy sweating. For first-timers, you will have a hard time to follow the instructors because they move fast sometimes, especially when they teach classes regularly but when you get use to the moves they teach, you will enjoy dancing. Zumba is like a Exer-dance because your not just doing a regular exercise like jumping jacks, sit-ups etc. In Zumba you move every parts of your body thus everything is streching, everything is doing the exercise, your arms, legs, torso, shoulders etc. As for an ordinary exercise, Zumba doesn’t let you stay in one place but moves you around the place which makes it more fun and enjoying. Also the music gives that good vibe that motivates you more to dance and groove to the beat.
Zumba encourages all ages in different place. Iloilo City is one of the fans of Zumba. Ilongos are known to be updated in trend especially in health and lifestyle. They enjoy trying new things such as Zumba. Now, every Ilonggo joins free Zumba classes in schools, barangay cover gyms, and other large areas like sm city iloilo, plazuela ground, esplanade and iloilo sports complex.There are 62 classes available in iloilo city, and everyone can join and enjoy having a healthy lifestyle. Zumba craze is everywhere in Iloilo, theirs no limits in joining this exercise as long as you body parts are complete, not to mention the colorful clothes you can wear, adds up to your good vibe. I got good reviews from different Zumba members, they been joining Zumba in their barangays and for them it change them a lot in terms of physical appearance and their immune system.
What does it do to our body?
Zumba is not just about fun and dancing, it is a new and fun way to exercise thus it still gives you health benefit and good results. With Zumba you won’t feel you are working out, you simply dance and poof after a few months you lose 10 pounds. A workout that isn’t even a workout: it’s a fun, social dance party – with exercise being the biggest perk! The music is fast, upbeat and contagious, so you can’t help but keep moving. That is the simple advocacy of Zumba. It makes a fun out of working out.
Samir Becic gives her Top 10 Health Benefits of Zumba:
- Calorie and fat burning: At its core, Zumba classes provide a large calorie burn through aerobic activity done with interval training in mind. The average person will burn around 600 to 1,000 calories in a Zumba class. With the classes choreographed to provide intervals of intensity in both pace of music and type of movements, class members’ energy expenditure is maximized for fat-burning benefits. Fitness moves are also incorporated within Zumba dances, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself moving from a fast merengue beat to a long, slow set of push-ups on the wall, or doing several sets of squats followed by plyometric jumps.
- Improved coordination: By joining a Zumba class, you’ll definitely improve your coordination, which is extremely important to maintain as you grow older.
- Full body workout: Zumba is both a dance class and a fitness class. Aside from its heart-health benefits, Zumba provides a workout for the whole body. From head and shoulder rolls that loosen up the neck and warm up the upper body, to footwork that strengthens and stretches calves and ankles, this fitness method touches on nearly every muscle and joint. Even those who are just learning the dance steps will find themselves waking up the day after a Zumba class with a definitive post-workout feeling.
- Aerobic benefits: Zumba makes reaching your target heart rate much easier than standard workout routines you’d find on a DVD or in a gym. It does this by using songs that play around 145 beats per minute. This fast pace makes it feel natural to move around quickly. This will set you on the path to true aerobic exercise. If you are trying to build endurance, this is the best thing you can do for yourself. Exercising for prolonged periods at this rate can increase the strength of your heart.
- Anaerobic benefits: Because Zumba’s music plays at a fast pace, moving to the beat of the music can start to build up your endurance after only a few workouts. It builds up your anaerobic endurance rather quickly. Overall, it’s most useful for helping to maintain a good cardiovascular respiratory system. It increases how much oxygen you can breathe during a high-intensity event.
- It gets you hooked on exercise: Workouts that feel like work are hard to get excited about. But Zumba is so enjoyable you actually want to keep coming back. It completely changes the idea of exercise because it’s something you really look forward to. It will keep you on a healthy routine!
- Everyone can join in: Classes are offered at all levels, including standard Zumba, Zumba Gold for senior citizens, Zumba for kids and even Aqua-Zumba done in swimming pools. Because Zumba is based on music and dance, it seems to speak a universal language that people of all nations can related to. There is no large learning curve in a Zumba class, either. New participants may receive small-scale step rehearsals before some longer dances, but in most cases, first-timers can simply jump right into a class and follow along with the instructor.
- Increased confidence: Thanks to all that dancing that a Zumba workout requires, you’ll lower your inhibitions, you’ll improve your posture, you’ll have better coordination and you’ll feel good about yourself. These changes will reflect immediately on your mood and on your appearance. Someone who feels good also has greater confidence.
- Mood boosting: Zumba is the perfect workout to take if you want to get rid of all that stress you accumulate during your every day. The upbeat moves specific to this type of workout favor the release of those mood-improving endorphins, and by joining a Zumba class, you’ll surely be able to feel your worries melt away as you lose yourself in the music.
- It’s social: At a Zumba class, you’ll be able to meet and interact with interesting and fun people. You could go to this type of workout for at least two or three times per week and you’ll get to socialize and make a lot of new friends among your Zumba classmates. You can also bring your friends to the party — instructors host “Zumba parties” for corporate challenges, bachelorette parties and more.
Having a healthy lifestyle changes everything, your health, your appearance and even your social status. Treat yourself good, so it will treat you the same as well. Don’t just sit and whine, stand up and shake all that bad vibe away. A healthy body, has a healthy mind therefore a good LIFE!